Friday, October 1, 2010

Golden Delicious Fall

Our little family had a really great time today. We decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and head to Skytop Apple Orchard. So, this morning we gathered some things for a picnic lunch and made the hour drive up there. Though the weather was already warm at the house when we left, it was a bit cool and blustery when we arrived in Flat Rock. The little boys and I were freezing, actually. But Paul went and bought us some fresh from the fryer apple cider donuts right away and that helped to warm us up. The phrase "finger lickin' good" is definitely applicable when talking about those donuts!

Next, we headed off in search of some apples to actually pick, instead of purchasing the pre-picked ones from the little store, like we did last year;-). Way at the back of the orchard, we located the Golden Delicious trees. Paul picked and bit into one, then we had Sam taste it. He loved it!! He munched on that apple until there was nothing left but core. We decided the Goldens were the apples for us.
And Natey, well he just wanted to nibble any apple he could get his hands on, and he didn't really care what condition it was in.

Due to my previously mentioned crap-o camera, I had to borrow my mom's for the trip. She told me she had just put in new batteries, so I didn't question her. Well, I'm not sure in which decade those batteries were new, but it wasn't this one. They didn't last long, but atleast I got several really great pictures. Unfortunately, the batteries died before we could get any of the "traditional" Skytop pics, but atleast Paul and I each got one or two with the boys.
I love this first one because of the mountains in the background and Sam's expression.


I hate the stray strands of hair hanging down by my face. It makes me think of the curls Orthodox Jewish men have hanging down the sides of their faces. Know what I mean?? Lovely.


It was really nice to spend the day out doing something together. Unfortunately, it's not every day that I recognize how blessed I am. Those two little boys (and the big one, too) are pretty fabulous. I do realize that every day, but I'm not always as patient with them as I should be or enjoy them as much as I should. On the drive up, I was reading some articles from our church magazine, so perhaps I was feeling a little more spiritual than usual:-), but I couldn't help but notice the beauty of God's creations and just how much we have to be thankful for. So, I enjoyed taking a little bit of it in today: the rolling hills, the warm sun, the crisp air, the rows and rows of apple trees. It was just a good day.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sounds fun! And that is so cool that Sam ate an apple! I hope this is a start of him loving fruits :)