Since Sam missed school yesterday for our mountain adventure, this afternoon he had a bit of make-up work from school. After lunch I sat him down at the kitchen table to get it all done while Nathanael took his nap. Let's be honest, most of his school work he doesn't need my assistance with. It's mostly a matter of tracing, coloring, and cut/paste. So, I had gotten his supplies out for him, got him started, and went to check email (etc) while he did his work. He had completed 90% of it, and I had just settled back at the computer desk after instructing him on the last page, when he started to approach me. With one hand on his head and one hand holding his shirt up, exposing his belly, he asked me, "do you notice anything different?" He had the biggest grin on his face and was slowly walking toward me. But my eye-sight isn't that great, and the pulled-up shirt had me confused, so I couldn't tell right away. Then I thought I saw scalp shining through where hair should be and I said, clasping my mouth, "oh no", followed by both of us bursting into laughter. Sam's laugh was some giddy laugh I had never heard before. Perhaps he was a bit nervous about what he had just done.



Later, when I asked him why he had his shirt pulled up, he told me it was so I wouldn't see the hair on his shirt. I suppose he wanted me to notice what was different about him without it being given away by the evidence on his shirt. Silly boy.
His feelings about his new style have spanned the spectrum this evening. At first he thought it was so funny. Then, when I suggested we stop by to show Mimi and Pop Pop, he was terribly embarrassed. Next, after stopping by Yaya's house, where at first he cried because he didn't want her to see it, he then became quite proud of his 'do after she told him he looked like a leopard. When I tried to buzz it when we got home, he became hysterical and insisted he wants to keep it how it is. And finally, at bedtime, he conceded that in the morning we can try to even it out.
I guess we will have to wait even longer to get our family pictures made...
1 comment:
I love the title!! Sorry he chopped his hair - the pattern is really pretty cool. Maybe you could photoshop hair onto his head for the family picture.
Post a Comment