
Over the last few days I've been visiting my grandfather in the hospice house. The initial visit was taken with much trepidation on my part. I didn't know what to expect, I knew I wasn't going to like seeing him in such a vulnerable position, and I was nervous about how he would look. But in the couple of days since, I have felt a need to go back, to be with him during his final days in this mortal probation. I haven't had much experience with the death of loved ones during my life, but I have learned that death brings some degree of sadness regardless of how or when it comes. My grandfather is not a young man, and though, until recently, his body was still strong, he has suffered from dementia for about a decade now, with the last few years leaving very little of the grandfather I once knew. So, of course this time was coming, but it still greatly grieves me that these are the last days I'll have to spend with him, and he isn't even aware of my presence. And so, I take comfort in the knowledge of a loving, merciful Father in Heaven, and I trust that one day I may be reunited with the grandfather who was such a wonderful part of my life. Though my grandfather was not a man of faith during this life, though he found religion to be quite confusing and difficult to believe, I trust that he will yet have an opportunity to accept Christ, and I have faith in him that he will recognize truth when finally he is taught it.
John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
This is one of the first things that resonated with me about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I remember the first time I came to the knowledge that all is not lost for my dear, sweet grandfather, tears ran down my face. And so I am filled with hope for a joyful reunion with this man, whom I adore, at a time when he is freed from the mortal body in which he is currently suffering.
I will forever cherish the many memories I have of my Papa Bob. He was the best grandfather I could imagine. He never failed to show his affection for me any time I saw him. He was always a goofy man and had his little routine lines that he would say; for example, "be a good little boy" at every parting. When we were younger, he would always tense up his stomach and let us kids punch him as hard as we could in the gut. We never could hurt him, or so it seemed. I'll always remember him when I see root beer barrel candies, which he would carry around in his front shirt pocket, and I'll always remember the bottles of Tums he kept everywhere. As kids, we thought getting one of his Tums was like getting a piece of peppermint candy. He always ate the white ones. It seemed like he was more than happy to do things purely for my (or any of the other grandkids') entertainment. Once, when I was quite young...maybe 5 or 6...I was spending a weekend with Mema and Papa Bob at their lake house. Mema had run to town to do some shopping, leaving Papa Bob and me to entertain ourselves. For some reason, Papa Bob decided he was going to do a little demonstration for me so I could see how gunpowder worked. So, he made a little pile of it by a tree, then he made a little trail of it leading to the pile, lit a match, lit the trail, and nothing happened. So, he went closer to investigate and all of a sudden KAPOW! He was still holding the can of gunpowder in his hand and it had exploded, leaving him with burns all over most of his body. It could have had a terrible ending, but instead it just ended up being a funny/crazy family story for all these years. He spent quite some time all bandaged up like a mummy and certainly has carried many scars from that event to this very day.
For much of my youth, their house was like a second home for me. I spent many weekends with them and would frequently show up at their house unannounced. Papa Bob and I would have long conversations about all kinds of things, and he often talked about what a wonderful woman Mema is.
I'm lucky that I had 4 grandparents for so many years of my life and with whom I was able to experience so many wonderful things. Soon I'll be losing my second grandfather, and he will be missed sorely. Until we meet again....
1 comment:
A+ for this Julie. Also, thanks for a good picture.
Post a Comment