Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Field Trip

Probably one of the best things about being a stay-at-home mom is the opportunity to fully participate in the kids' school activities. Maybe it's one of the best and worst things. It's great because I get to look on as Sam enjoys time with his new friends and I get to participate in fun events that an adult wouldn't typically do sans children. But then there's the factor of feeling like the new kid who doesn't quite fit in. This was the first time I'd met many of the mothers and it seemed like they all knew each other already and, well, I'm kind of socially awkward. It's true; I know, I hide it so well. haha Luckily, so far for Sam, although he tends to be a bit timid in new situations, particularly involving adults, he seems to be more outgoing with his peers and has made new friends quickly.
Today we took a trip to Fisher's Orchard. Boy have we really had some great fall weather for all of these activities lately! Again, it was a beautiful day- cool in the morning, but warmed up to a perfect temperature by afternoon. At the orchard, the kids got to participate in several fun acitivites. First, they had a wagon ride around the orchard, where there were all sorts of Halloween and fall decorations scattered about.
Next they had a little lesson about different fruits and vegetables (apples, corn, potatoes, pumpkins), and what can be made from each. Sam really got into this part, shouting out all kinds of different answers. After their lesson, they got to pet bunnies and feed goats and a cow.
Then it was on to a slightly ghetto, but kinda cool, maze.
They actually loved it, running through several times, until it was time to go "pick" apples. Picking the apples was actually just taking a plastic bag over to two crates of pre-picked golden delicious apples to find the best looking ones. Picking out their pumpkins was a quite similar process; scattered on the ground in one area were a slew of less than perfect, tiny pumpkins. The goal was to get the one with the least imperfections. I think Sam and I were able to find a fairly cute one.
And I have to say, it was a wonderful way to spend a morning....I only wish we could have had Natey and Daddy along too.

No comments: