Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One smart cookie

Last week Sam had his final assessment by his K4 teacher. The good news is, he has passed preschool:-). The bad news....he is growing up too fast. Some of the highlights on his "report card": He has mastered the alphabet (recognizing, writing, and the sounds), sorts objects using two attributes, counts orally well past 100 (they are only expected to get to 30), can skip count, and is making efforts to read. Hallelujah, he's ready for kindergarten. As if there was ever any question.
In celebration of this monumental milestone, Sam and I baked up some sugar cookies on Sunday while we were home enjoying a General Conference sort of Sabbath day.
Actually, the baking of sugar cookies had very little to do with preschool and more to do with the fact that I have always loved sugar cookies and want to be able to make pretty ones. It's difficult to make pretty things when kids are helping, but hopefully next time I'll make more of an effort to let Sam have fun instead of being so anal. Mission failed on attempt #1.
Atleast dinner tonight was a success. The only thing missing was a nice piece of crusty bread. And maybe a salad would have been nice. Paul went back for seconds and then I found him eating forkfuls right out of the pan; this is how I gauge the success of a meal. And once Paul got Natey hooked on the bacon, he devoured his serving. Atta boy.


Stewed White Beans with Spinach and Bacon
a la Rachel Ray

Serves 4 Prep 10 mins Cook 30 mins

8 slices bacon
1 pound baby red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/3 inch cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
2 15-oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed (I used great northern)
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 cups packed baby spinach
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1-In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning halfway through, until just crisp, 8-10 minutes; drain on a papertowel-lined plate. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the skillet.
2-Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, chicken broth and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the liquid is almost absorbed, about 7 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Crumble the bacon on top and sprinkle with the scallions and parmesan
.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Dinner looks delish! I think everything with bacon is tasty. :) And your sugar cookies are darling.