Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best.Christmas.Present.Ever.


Vitamix, helping families everywhere turn children who wouldn't eat anything....
into children who drink everything!

This little machine has made my last few days pure bliss. Ok, maybe not PURE bliss, but meal times certainly have become less stressful. I haven't been worrying about the lack of nutrients my little Sammy is getting. No veggies for the last year? No problem, he got 2 cups of spinach in his breakfast smoothie:-). Now hopefully we didn't break the darn thing tonight on our strawberry yogurt freeze....
And while I'm on the subject of food, I'd like to thank Martha Stewart for providing hungry Americans with tasty, husband-approved recipes. I've been trying out new recipes here lately because I was sick of everything I make. Last night I made a keeper. The picture really doesn't do it justice, but what would a blog post be without pictures?
Martha suggests using the leftovers to make nachos. Just top some tortilla chips with some of the chili, pickled jalapeno peppers, and grated cheese; bake for 3 minutes at 350, and you're good to go.
Go ahead, give it a try. Your husband will thank you.

Chicken Chili

10 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 jalapeno chile, halved (seeded if desired)
1 white onion, peeled and halved
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used breasts)1/4 cup chili powder
salt
2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained

1) Preheat broiler, with rack 3 inches from heat source. Arrange tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, and garlic, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil until starting to char, about 5 minutes. Pulse tomatoes and jalapeno in a blender or a food processor until chunky. Chop onion and mince garlic.
2) Heat a large heavy skillet (preferably enamel cast-iron) over med-high heat. Add oil. Working in batches, brown chicken in a single layer, allowing to sear before stirring, 5 to 6 minutes; transfer to a plate.
3) Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook until soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add chili powder and 2 teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in chipotles, and add chicken. Raise heat to high. Add tomato-jalapeno mixture. Cook, scraping up browned bits, until fully incorporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in stock; simmer for 20 minutes. Add beans; simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, broccoli..really? What else was in that?