Thursday, July 21, 2011

This boy is an angel


But me? Not so much. Let's just say, I'm not having the best start to the day. Waking up at 4:30 or so doesn't suit me well. And therefore, I've been a little short on patience this morning. I was feeding the boys breakfast- Nathanael was getting a peach and cheese toast instead of cereal because I didn't feel like cleaning up the mess he makes with his cereal. He was displeased and began wailing and gnashing his teeth. I tried to ignore him, eating my breakfast while checking my email, etc. But he just kept going, and going, and going. So, I marched over to him and told him if he didn't stop, he was going back to bed. All the while, he's begging for cereal. Sam was just sitting in his chair, not eating his cereal, watching this exchange. I got Nathanael out of his chair to haul him upstairs. Sam started to tell me something, but I walked on up to put Nathanael in bed. When I came back down, Sam was on the couch crying. Broke my heart. I cuddled him up and he said he was trying to tell me that he would give Nate his cereal when he was done with it! Oh.My.Gosh. I'm evil and that is the most tender and loving demonstration ever. So I went and got Nate from his room. He suddenly was quite happy to just eat his peach and cheese toast (amazing what a little time in his room can do for his demeanor). I figured everything was settled; Nate was eating his breakfast so I assumed Sam would finish his. After a few minutes I heard Nathanael say, "Sam gave me that." Sam then told me he gave Nathanael his left-over cereal. So, I went and looked. There was still half of a bowl full, and he normally eats it all. They pick on each other and fight ALL DAY LONG. But then, in an hour of need, one can become a warrior for the other. Maybe this day might turn out all right after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that kid!!!

Jenna said...

So sweet! I think you're a better mom than you're giving yourself credit for.

Karen said...

I agree with both Jenna and Robin. Sweet kids with a great mom!