Friday, July 22, 2011

Peaches


On Wednesday the little boys and I went to pick peaches with some dear friends. The peach orchard we chose was only 45 minutes away, actually located a couple streets down from my brother's house in Greer. I've been wanting to try picking peaches for a couple of years now. I'm always leery of getting them from the grocery store; fresh peaches- ain't nothing fresh at the grocery store- can be so delicious. So, we decided to give it a go this year. And for several reasons, I'll probably never do it again:-).
I learned that picking a good peach from a tree can be just as difficult as picking a good peach from the grocery store bin, especially when sweet little helpers just want to participate. The trees were loaded with beautiful, ripe-looking peaches, but they were mostly all harder than rocks. And when I tasted one of the hard ones, it didn't taste so good. So, it was pretty tricky to run around squeezing peaches to find a softish one, while also trying to keep little hands from picking every peach within grabbing distance.
The ground was littered with rejected peaches. Unlike the apple orchards in the fall, where rotten apples just keep to themselves and you can walk around them, the peaches grow nasty mold and fungus, and take over the earth.
Also, it was hotter than Haiti (thank you Chris Ludwig for this lovely spin on the classic phrase), and I turn into an angry bear in extreme heat.
So, we found a grand total of 3 peaches which were semi-soft, that we donated to the basket of one of our friends. Then we just bought a 1/2 peck of pre-picked peaches.

Note to self, true orchard fresh peaches can be purchased from a fruit stand 5 minutes away, instead of 45.
But, on the bright side, peach trees can make a perfect spot for eating a snack.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Seriously it was way too hot! But, I'm still glad we went :)

Julie said...

Oh yes! I'm still glad we went too, even if only for the pictures!:-) Our peaches are almost all gone.

Jenna said...

Cute pictures! We have never picked peaches (and now we don't have to)! I like to buy them at the Dillard's fruit stand. We've always had great fresh luscious peaches. (Hmmm... might have to make a run this afternoon!)

Karen said...

Yay, I'm glad that you tested this one out before I had to. We have been blackberry, blueberry, and grape picking (all Brad's idea)and it always seems to be in blazing heat. It's almost always awful and not worth it - except for the pictures. Yours are adorable.

How did you change your comment format? I think mine has the same problem.

Julie said...

Now where is this fruit stand 5 min away??? :)