Thursday, July 7, 2011

Holiday Weekend

The 4th of July has come and gone. I can remember that as a child during summer break, I always dreaded the 4th of July. It always seemed that once that day came, the end of summer along with the beginning of the new school year was just around the corner. And so, I know that before I have time to turn around again, my sweet Sammy will be heading off to kindergarten.
But we still enjoyed our holiday weekend. We crammed as many activities into the weekend as we could. On Saturday we decided to do something a little out of the ordinary for us; we got out of the house. We headed to downtown Greenville. It was hotter'n blue blazes outside, but that didn't stop us from enjoying a nice picnic by the falls.

We picked up some lunches at the Overlook Grill, and found a nice shady spot to eat. Though the food was perfect picnic fare, I wouldn't recommend the place. It was just ok. But the prices were good.
After we finished our lunches, we took a walk down to some fountains that the kids can play in. I had hopes of making it to the Children's Garden , but it was simply too hot, and the two fair-skinned individuals in our family were afraid their skin was sizzling off. So we headed back to the car. It was still a delightful afternoon even though it was so hot that we didn't make it to everything we set out to do, and my camera battery died during our picnic. I did atleast get a few pictures and could these two look any less like brothers?
On Monday morning we were able to enjoy a pancake breakfast with tons of friends at church before heading off for a day at the lake. It was a beautiful day when we arrived, but later it poured down rain on us. Good thing we were already wet from the water of the lake. The boys, of course, had a blast. And thanks to their new Puddle Jumpers, both boys were able to swim around in the lake completely independently. Man, that makes for a much nicer experience!
We capped the weekend off with a delicious meal at the home of some wonderful friends, along with a few fireworks. We enjoyed the fireworks, though I'm not sure the rest of the attendees did. By the end, I think Paul was only left with 3 spectators who hadn't run for cover indoors.
All in all, it was a great weekend. It's too bad every weekend isn't a holiday weekend!

4 comments:

Paul said...

Note to self, do not have picture taken with mouth full of food.

Brad and Holly said...

I love the pictures of the brothers and cousin together. They are all so cute!

Julie said...

Look at you! Makin' memories :)
You get double points for having a picnic in the blazing heat!

Leslie said...

I just love that cousin picture!! It is definitely a framer! What a fun 4th y'all had! :) hope to see you soon!