Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Expanding our minds

I'm always on the look-out for teaching tools for the kids. The dollar spot at Target can actually be a great resource! Quite often they have flashcards and workbooks, and very recently I found an experiment workbook! I knew Sam would love it, and he does. So, earlier this week we set out to do some experiments. Sam would have liked to have done the whole book, but they are messy and require the gathering of ingredients, so I was only up for three. First, we made blue goo from cornstarch, water, and food coloring.

Next, we used vinegar and baking soda in a bottle to blow up a balloon. The result happened so quickly that Sam got a little nervous that the balloon was going to explode!

Lastly, Sam learned a little about why polar bears are able to swim in icy cold water by watching what happened to water on his skin when his hands were coated in oil.
We have many more experiments left and I think we are going to really enjoy them!

I also took some time to myself and sewed up my first I Spy bag, which I had been wanting to try for quite a while.
I was rather pleased with the way my first effort turned out, but unfortunately, the raw edges around the window began to fray and the flannel wasn't strong enough to withstand much playing (only about an hour) so a small hole formed. So, although I prefer the way the first one turned out and the fabric I used, I've already made another one with fleece to be a little more durable.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

You are a fun mom!

Julie said...

OOO cool goo :)
And I have yet to attempt the i spy bag. But yours is super cute!! Mental note taken about the flannel. thanks!