Monday, May 23, 2011

Soccer

Sam had his final soccer game of the season on Saturday. Paul carted him up to the Y at noon only to find that Sam and two other children where the only ones who were not let in on the secret that their game was moved to 1:30. It was blazing hot on Saturday, and there is no shade on the soccer field, so Paul had me take Sam back at 1:30 so his translucent skin wouldn't sizzle in the sun.
Sam had high expectations for himself for the final game of the season. He anticipated making 9 goals. In actuality, he got none, but as I told him, it's kinda hard to score without any help from your teammates. Ok, I know they are only 4 years old, but I hope Sam gets on a better team next season. He was certainly the MVP, scoring the only two goals the team got this season. They lost every game. But it's ok because Sam and I aren't competitive or anything;-).

At one point during Saturday's game I was reminded that Sam is still little. It was a water break, and Sam and one other kid were the first ones back on the field. Meanwhile there was one wretched mother who was passing out pop ice to all the kids on our team. One by one she was calling each of them over to get one. Meanwhile Sam was standing on the field, basically right in front of her, and she never bothered to call him over. He glanced back at me and I told him to go over and get one, but he's too shy (and polite;-)) to just go ask for one. And then it was too late, water break was over. The rest of the kids were still finishing their pop ices, but the coach was calling them to the field and she was giving Sam instructions on how to save the game (since he's the MVP). When she walked away from him, he ducked his face into his arm and then he looked up at me and I saw that he was sobbing. I kept telling him, loudly so that the hag would hear me, that we would get him a popsicle after the game, but he came running off the field into my arms. The coach asked what was wrong and I told her, again loudly, "he didn't get a popsicle". I'm not big on entitlement. I don't believe that kids all deserve the same things. However, if you're going to be passing out popsicles on a blistering hot day, in the middle of a soccer game, to every team member excluding one who happens to be my son, well you just better be ready for me to claw your eyes out. Who does that? To a four year old kid? Coach took care of it at the next break, and all was made right in the world again when he finally got his pop ice.
Afterwards, the kids got cupcakes and trophies to end their losing streak off right.

3 comments:

Jonna said...

I love that you say how moms really feel. I would have clawed her eyes out too!

Jenna said...

Eyes to be clawed out next season. :) I am glad he finally got an ice pop. Kids & sports make me crazy - can't live without 'em but sometimes it's not fun with 'em.

Leslie said...

I would have been upset too! Poor little guy...I'm glad he got his pop ice!