Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How is it possible?

Today we are already 18 days into the month of May. Yesterday my oldest child "graduated" from preschool. Yesterday my baby peed in the potty for the first time. Yesterday while shopping at Walmart, Sam said to me "Mom, do you know what 3 times 4 is?" I asked, "what?" And then he correctly replied "12". How is this possible? When did my babies grow up? Why must it happen so fast? Where does the time go? I want them to be little forever. I want them to always tell me things like Sam did tonight: I asked him "who do you love more than me?" Because he's a smart boy he replied "no one. Because I love you, Dad, and Nate the same. And I love everything else less."

Sam receiving his diploma from his teacher, Mrs. Williams.

Sam and his best buddy, Henry, enjoying cake and punch. Actually, Sam didn't enjoy the punch at all. It had soda in it and he doesn't like the way it makes his mouth feel.

Now, I must concede that it's not always unicorns and lollipops in our home, although I do like to paint a pretty picture for my blog;-). Today I completely snapped around 5:00, when the whining simply would.not.stop. I had asked them, nicely, to go upstairs about 26 times, to no avail. Finally, with one wielding a golf club and one begging for milk, I reached my boiling point. I yelled at the top of my lungs "GO UPSTAIRS! And I don't want to see either one of you again." To which they both burst into tears. And I felt like an ugly monster, which is what I'm sure they saw. And then I gathered my little injured lambs in my arms and we cuddled in the floor until the tears stopped and everyone had calmed down.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh I have had those moments too and it makes me feel HORRIBLE. Horray for peeing in the potty though, and preschool graduation! You must be doing something right to have such cute smart kids :)

RobinEddyLudwig said...

Did it really take until 5:00 to snap? Wasn't it yesterday that I had the meltdown while standing beside your van and had to send myself inside before I blew a fuse? Actually, no, that was Tuesday...bet you lost it before 5 on Tuesday :) I have to say that Sam was pretty much the sweetest little angel ever when we hung out today - and it made me want to cry thinking about how big he's gotten.

Jenna said...

OK, you're making me cry now! Your boys are sweet & they are growing up too fast. Good thing the engineering/math thing gets passed on so easily. 3x4??? in preschool.