Friday, March 11, 2011

Not the sharpest fork in the drawer

One of my favorite meals to order at any given restaurant (except Thai, of course) is a Southwestern chicken salad. Now I no longer have to wait to dine out in order to experience that deliciousness. Thanks again to Our Best Bites I have once more found a recipe that will be served in our home over and over. It was outstanding. I only wish I had made 2 or 3 pounds of chicken. The Taco Chicken is so good you'll want leftovers. I told Sam it was taquito chicken and he LOVED it. After dinner he said "Mom, thanks for making that taquito chicken. It was really good." I left out the cherry or grape tomatoes, mainly because one little clam shell of them was nearly $5! Holy moly! They ain't that great! I didn't miss them.


That's one messy plate. How embarrassing. I tossed my salad with the dressing right on my plate. Forgive me; I'm no food photographer. Maybe we'll see some improvements after my photography class next weekend....

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
SALAD:

4 c. chopped Romaine Lettuce
2 c. chopped grilled chicken (you could use Taco Chicken if you want)
1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, washed
1/3 c. vertically-sliced red onions
1 avocado, cubed
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 8 3/4 oz. can corn, rinsed and drained

DRESSING:
1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 c. light sour cream
1 1/2 + tsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle chilies
1 tsp. chili powder
4 tsp. fresh lime juice
¼ tsp. salt

OPTIONAL:

Tortilla Strips

Make sure all salad ingredients that need to be washed or rinsed have been. Combine lettuce, chicken, beans, corn, onion, and tomatoes in a large bowl and gently mix with your hands (which you have obviously and thoroughly washed, of course! :) ). Set aside.

Mix dressing ingredients. I say to start with 1 1/2 tsp. of adobo sauce and then go from there, probably 1/4-1/2 tsp. at a time. If you're serving this for a crowd, it's probably better to err on the side of not spicy enough rather than too spicy, but if you're just making it for your family and you have taste buds of steel, have at it. You could even chop up one of the chilies and toss it in there if you're feeling super-brave. Then taste the dressing and you'll know what heaven tastes like. Set dressing aside.

If you're making tortilla strips, fry those puppies up now. I didn't make them here because I'm trying my darndest not to be naughty nutritionally, but if I make this salad for some kind of festivity, I always make the tortilla strips. Allow them to cool.

When you're ready to serve, add avocado, tortilla strips, and dressing. Gently combine with your hands and serve.

Taco Chicken

1 lb. chicken breasts or thighs (I can tell you right now that I'm a breast girl and Sara prefers thighs.)
A couple of juicy limes
A splash of red wine vinegar
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed or coarsely chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Juice the limes and combine with a couple splashes of red wine vinegar. Add garlic. Pour over chicken. This will not completely cover the chicken; just turn it occasionally as needed. Marinate for at least 4 hours, no longer than 8.

Heat an outdoor grill (you can also use a grill pan inside. Or your broiler in your oven.) Combine salt, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper in a small bowl. Remove chicken from marinade and rub the spices all over the chicken.

Grill about 7 minutes per side.

Remove from heat and allow to stand a few minutes so it doesn't lose its juiciness. You can either eat the chicken as it is, maybe with Mexican rice and beans, or use slice it up and use it as you would taco meat.


It's a good thing we only let Nathanael eat with dull plastic utensils.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Oooh yummy! I can't wait to try this. I think I could eat Mexican food every single day. :)