Wednesday, March 16, 2011

For reals?

My sister, Robin, refers to Nathanael as Dennis the Menace. Applicable nickname? You tell me.
Yesterday was an eventful day. Nathanael officially decided he can no longer be contained in a crib. This day never came with Sam, but with Natey, I'm actually shocked he waited this long. He's actually known how to climb out for a few weeks, but it wasn't until he was challenged that he decided to use his skill to further his menacing behavior. On Monday night, we were all having Family Home Evening in Nathanael's room when the boys started to get a little rowdy and were trying to climb into the crib. I told Paul that Natey could climb out now and he wanted to see. So into the crib went Natey. He was taking a while to work his way over the bar and Paul was losing interest. Paul challenged that he didn't think Nathanael could do it and turned his attention to something else. About that time, Nathanael hoisted his body over the rail to which I exclaimed "did you see that, Dad?", which was echoed by Natey with "see that, Dad?" Fast forward to nap time yesterday.... I think you probably can guess what happened. Nathanael would NOT stay in his crib. I put him in, he climbed out. I put him in, he climbed out. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Of course I locked him in, but he stood at the door crying....loudly.....for hours. Yeah, seriously, I left him in there that long. Ok...probably like an hour. Bedtime went similarly, but was much shorter. He only had to be returned to his crib twice.
This morning he was crying at the door, begging to be let out of his cell bright and early, shortly after 5:00. Actually it wasn't very bright, but it was certainly early. This is not unusual for the babe. He has always been an early riser. We typically send him to watch cartoons so we can get a little more rest. Inevitably he comes stumbling back into our room to bother us after a short time. Sometimes he climbs into our bed, like this morning. He handed me "bb" and "puppy", and I helped him up. I did not feel anything else on his person. We cuddled for a few minutes and seemingly out of nowhere, he pulls a pair of sharp scissors and starts trying to cut his hair!!! I couldn't make this stuff up. What will he do next?
I'm starting to think the days were easier when he only played in the toilet.

3 comments:

RobinEddyLudwig said...

hahahahahahahahaha....cannot stop laughing. Oh Dennis, you are a riot (but don't be thinking about pulling these stunts at my house tomorrow!...I'm hiding all the scissors). What I also (especially) love is that you posted this blog at 5:56 AM. Meanwhile, Max and I slept in until 7:45 this morning! (I'm sure he'll make up for it tomorrow, don't worry).

Jenna said...

ooooh! You are in TROUBLE!!! Scissors already? 5:56 a.m. terrible!! Maybe this means he'll get up early without protesting in high school.

My mom put my sisters in footie pajamas & diaper-pinned the feet together so they couldn't climb out of the crib. I guess a clever kid could unzip the jammies; my sisters weren't that clever!

Julie said...

Diaper-pinned the feet together? That's hilarious. I should give that a try. I'd love to see what Nathanael would do about that!:-)