Christmas may come just once a year, but around this house, we like to squeeze in as many extra days of Christmas as we can reasonably muster. As far as I'm concerned, Christmastime is already in full swing. We began listening to Christmas music on the radio as soon as the first radio station switched over to it. Actually, Nathanael and Sam have been serenading us with Christmas diddies, particularly Jingle Bells, though it is oft times a slightly altered rendition, ever since last Christmas. We just can't get enough.
What is it that makes Christmastime so wonderful? Well, I'll tell you. I love those first few days/nights with a nip to the air. But only the first few, because after that my skin becomes unbearably dry and I get so chilled that I can't warm up again until summer. The first few are nice though, because they make me want to be all warm and snug in my house, cuddled up with my family while all gathered 'round the fire, sipping hot cocoa and singing Christmas carols. Doesn't that sound lovely?
I love the smells of Christmas, how upon entering almost any store you immediately smell cinnamon.
And the flavors of Christmastime! If I didn't care about my girlish figure (but I do) and I didn't need to give attention to my children (but I should) and people wouldn't get tired of eating all my holiday goodies (but they would) I would bake all day throughout the last two months of the year. There just isn't enough time to cram in all the baking of the beautiful tasties that I fancy. Why are pumpkin and peppermint only appropriate for baked goods during the months of November and December (ok, and part of October)? Would a pumpkin cheesecake, for example, not taste just as lovely in July? Or peppermint fudge in March?
I love shopping for gifts and envisioning how much the recipient will love the gift...or atleast hoping they will. I love wrapping gifts. And still, at 29, I love being the Christmas Day elf, who gets to pass out the presents from underneath my parents' Christmas tree. I love all the traditions, old and new, of the season.
But most of all, I love the joy that this season brings to my kids. This year, Sam and I already had the opportunity to fill up a small box for Operation Christmas Child through his school. It was a wonderful chance for Sam to take part in giving to others and he really enjoyed choosing things he thought the child would like.
I like trying to keep the magic of Santa Claus alive for the boys, even though Sam tries not to believe. I guess he just understands too much of the true meaning of Christmas. Perhaps we all ought to learn a lesson from that sweet boy:
Yesterday, while riding in the van:
Natey: "Santa loves us, Sammy!"
Sam: "Know who else loves us? Jesus loves us."
Natey: "Yeah!"
Sam: "That's always a good answer for everything because Jesus does love us."
Natey: "Yeah, Jesus talks about the Gospel. We talk about the Gospel."
Perhaps this year, as we are enjoying all the wonderful parts to the season, we should make it a little more focused on the Savior. Thanks for the lesson, Sammy.
3 comments:
Sweet boys! I love Christmas. I have been holding back a little & yet feeling like I need to get started.
Your wreath turned out beautiful. You could use it for valentine's day too.
I could use it for Valentine's day, except there's another one I want to make for that holiday:-). With all these wreaths, I'm going to have to devote a whole closet to storing them. As if we have the space....
Post a Comment