The playground was a popular spot for the kids. Claire and Nathanael would have played there for hours. They both quickly found new friends to play with. And no one got lost this year....at least not that I realized. At one point, I noticed another mother walking into my view with Claire. Apparently she was wandering and crying on the far end of the playground trying to find her mommy. Oops.
After our delicious donuts, we moved on to the real crowd pleaser- feeding the goats. Claire looked pitiful enough that some sucker who had actually bought the animal feed from the dispensers gave her a handful, but the goats couldn't have cared less about the stuff. Claire was disappointed she couldn't get them to eat her food. We quickly found a particular flavor of grass that they absolutely went crazy for and the kids grabbed handfuls to feed them until they got bored of it.
Then on we went to find our apples. We had to hike all the way to the far end of the orchard to get to the few rows of the apples I wanted- Pink Lady. We got a few Fujis too. Once we finally found the trees that had easy pickings, the kids had a blast filling their baskets. Claire loved finding the baby apples. And I don't know why, but apples from the orchard truly do taste worlds better than from the grocery store. So I am incredibly grateful that, despite the fact that once we got back to the area to pay and saw how long the line was and I contemplated setting our 40 lbs of apples down and buying some at the grocery store on the way home, I did not. I am still perplexed by why the u-pick were more expensive per pound than the pre-bagged, but nevertheless we made it home with our apples and enjoyed them daily for weeks to come.
Be still my heart....
No comments:
Post a Comment