Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Snug-It Bug Part Deux

March started off innocently enough. Sweet Nathanael shared his lollipop with Claire on our afternoon run to pick Sam up from school. And that could have been where it all began....

But a couple other fun things happened after the lollipop. Sam competed in the pinewood derby. He and Dad worked together to pick a design, cut, paint, and apply decals to his car. He was pretty proud of it and excited to win. His dreams of being the derby champion were dashed, but he still had a good time. We only got one picture of him and clearly he was already envisioning what was to hit our home in a few days....


After a lot of wiggling, finally during the early morning hours (I believe it was even the very morning tragedy struck), Nathanael lost his first tooth. He was excited to be able to report the loss at school.



As the hour to drop him off approached, however, Nathanael started crying and complaining that he couldn't go to school because his stomach hurt really bad. Dropping Nathanael off at school was always a monumental undertaking, so I assumed he was fine and just wanted to stay home. I dragged him off to school, crying all the way. I went straight to Target after drop off and had made it no farther than the dollar spot when my phone rang. It was Ms. Sue, his teacher. She said he wouldn't stop crying, said his stomach hurt. I needed to come get him. When I arrived Ms. Lori said she walked him to the bathroom, let him get a drink of water, but he just laid his head down and cried about his stomach. I still figured he was probably fine, maybe just needed to poop, but I took him home. And after a while he puked. And he did it again and again for 3 days. He got really skinny. He didn't want to eat, even when he started feeling better. He was afraid if he ate anything, he would vomit. He lamented having ever caught the stomach virus. And slowly he started regaining strength and recovered. Things started to return to normal around the house.


And then several days later, enough days to have given us a false sense of dodging a bullet, Claire didn't want to eat breakfast. She seemed a little off, wanting only to lay in my bed and read books while I got ready. I figured she was coming down with a cold.



We took Nathanael to school and were planning to go to Sam's school to work the school store during lunch when it hit. Vomit. All over me and the floor. Bless her heart, she was so lethargic. She just laid on the floor, wherever she was.


Bless my heart, I got to clean vomit from the car-seat, with all it's nooks and crannies, again.


And there was three more days that looked like this:









And just to keep everyone guessing about who would come down with it next or who might be spared, it was a little longer before poor Sammy succumbed. His happened at the best worst time. We received that dreaded phone call from the school nurse; it was the first time. He had barfed. At least it was during recess.
A couple days later, Paul took Claire out to lunch at a burger joint. She had been symptom-free for a few days. He got her a burger and was letting her share his shake. Without warning, she erupted all over the table and high chair. What do you even do about that?? The friendly staff immediately came to his aid, cleaning up her mess as Paul loaded his vomit-covered child into the van. He went back inside and handed the good lady $20 for her misfortune.
Silver-lining: Mom and Dad avoided the virus. I don't think I could have survived another dose.

No comments: