Monday, February 13, 2012

The Highlights

Typically, life passes right on by in a blur. From time to time some semi-major event occurs that warrants pictures and it's own blog posting, but usually life is just full of regular moments that slip away before we even realize it. Most days are just ordinary. I spend my time shuttling children around to various locations, shopping for groceries or supplies to make something for the kids, cooking, cleaning, or just hanging out at home. Such are the days of our lives. But on such days, I do occasionally take a picture or two. So, here are a few of the highlights of the past month:
Though the last several days have been quite chilly, we have been enjoying a rather mild winter. And when I say enjoying, I truly mean enjoying! Several afternoons in the last few weeks have been so beautiful that the boys have gotten to spend quite a bit of time playing outside. I have now come to recognize the glorious blessing of having a friend of the boys' living in the same neighborhood. On many of these nice afternoons the boys have enjoyed riding bikes and playing outside with Nathanael's pal, Aidan, and his sweet baby sister, Lucy. And of course while they play I get to enjoy the companionship of their mommy. Good times.
The boys frequently beg me for a cherry slushie when I make my pit stop at Sonic to get my Diet Coke. Usually I say no. But one afternoon the weather was just too nice to deny them the cool treat.

Sam has always been a voracious learner. He truly enjoys doing educational activities, so long as it presents a degree of a challenge. We usually use Nathanael's afternoon nap time as our study time. For Christmas Sam got a magic science kit from his grandmother. One afternoon we finally cracked into it. After crafting his magic wizard hat, Sam got to use fizzing tablets and special crystals to create a magical wand. Many more experiments await.
In Sam's science class at school recently he has been learning about space, including stars and constellations. One evening when there was a perfectly clear sky, Paul downloaded a constellation app on the iphone and took the boys out for some stargazing.
For several years we have had a tradition of spending our Sunday afternoons at Paul's parents' house. Several other of his siblings have followed suit and usually come over on most Sundays as well. Paul's dad fixes a lunch large enough to feed an army and we just enjoy one another's company. Sam and Nathanael love to spend time with their cousins. Sam idolizes his older 8-year-old cousin, Ben, and they usually play tackle football in the yard. He is also a very loving cousin to the littler kids, like Hailey.
As springtime approaches, we are looking forward to more good times with friends and one another right here at home and around town.

2 comments:

Brad, Karen, Babies, and Dogs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

We are so happy to be your neighbors. I love the afternoons when we get the boys together to play.