Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My name is Julie and I'm a Mormon.


I am not big on proselytizing. It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable. Yet several times recently I've felt an urge to write this post. I belong to a proselyting church. Really, anyone who is Christian does, for isn't it our responsibility, once we come to the knowledge of Christ, to share the knowledge with others? Frequently my church comes under public scrutiny for our beliefs. Individuals who have limited and/or incorrect knowledge of our doctrine appoint themselves as experts. Therefore, I feel it is important for us to share our testimonies of Christ rather than to only allow individuals who are not of our faith to declare our beliefs for us.
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And it defines me. I have covenanted to be a follower of Christ. I strive to keep his commandments. Yet, I fall short. I am far from perfect. I struggle with many things, but I try. I have faith that through the atonement of Jesus Christ, my sins can be forgiven and I can live eternally in the presence of our Heavenly Father and Christ, the Savior.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is exciting. It provides peace. It offers joy. I am not a scriptorian. I find many of God's ways to be difficult to understand. But, I know the sweet stirrings of the Holy Spirit in confirmation of truth.
We believe that the family is central to God's plan of happiness. I believe family relationships can be perpetuated beyond the grave and I yearn for that. We strive to teach our children the gospel in its fullness. We take them to church every Sunday, not for 1 hour, but 3. We teach them at home through prayer and reading the scriptures with them, from the Bible as well as the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is scripture. It is a testament of Jesus Christ. It contains words of ancient prophets. I believe in a modern prophet and in continued revelation. I believe that our Father in Heaven desires to communicate with us today just as much as in ancient times. I believe that He continues to perform miracles.
I believe He knows us each individually. I'm grateful for his ceaseless love and patience for us.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Beautifully stated. Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Great post! And I love the new background too.