Monday, January 9, 2012

A New Year Novella

The holidays are becoming a distant memory and life is returning to normal. For the first time in my recollection, I was a bit pleased to see the holidays pass. Perhaps the short duration of my Christmas cheer was due to the unseasonably warm temperatures or maybe it was because Paul was in Seattle for the 3 weeks following Thanksgiving, but whatever the cause, I definitely welcomed the new year. Though the house seems a bit plain without the Christmas decor, and the radio isn't quite as jolly without the seasonal tunes, I'm enjoying the return of routine and simplicity. Besides, if 2012 is anything like 2011, the boys will be keeping the spirit of Christmas alive through the constant singing of Christmas carols for months to come.
After a blissful week of family time, Paul returned to work, Sam returned to school, and Nathanael...well, Nathanael returned to his quest for destruction. Whether he is trying to destroy himself through electrocution...

A power cord we found that Nathanael had nibbled on like a rodent.


...or trying to destroy stuff, it mattereth not; he just loves to destroy.





He apparently toppled over and fell asleep mid-destruction at nap time.



During his Christmas break from school, Sam was incredibly pleasant. He was so well behaved for several days in a row that Paul and I were constantly complimenting him. On one such day he asked me, "how proud are you of me?"
I replied, "so proud."
Sam: "So proud of me?"
Me: "Yes, I am so proud of you, Sam."
Sam: "I like to hear that."
I am definitely so proud of him. He makes me proud every day. Gosh he drives me crazy, but I have had more joy in my life since his birth than ever prior. Sam has given up baths. Instead he prefers showers. Leave him alone a while and you'll hear him in there doing what he does everywhere else, playing a football game in his head. And he keeps track of the score on the shower door.


Yes, everything is back to normal around here.
The first week of the new year is over and I have, thus far, had limited success with my resolutions. After forgoing my Sonic drinks for about 60 hours, I caved this morning and hit up the drive-thru after dropping Sam off at school. There's always tomorrow. I did, however, make home-cooked meals all last week. Most were old favorites with the exception of one new recipe which I'll definitely make again.
I appreciated the ease of making it, plus the fresh vegetables, and the flavor from the sausage! I've never heard of, nor could I find, pappardelle pasta, so I subbed fettuccine. Really, all pasta tastes the same, so what difference does that make?

Pappardelle Pasta & Chicken Sausage
recipe from Kraft

What You Need
1/2 lb. pappardelle pasta, uncooked
2cups broccoli florets
1 Tbsp. oil
1 lb. chicken sausage links, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips, halved crosswise
1 cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup half-and-half
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 cup KRAFT Shredded Italian* Five Cheese with a TOUCH OF PHILADELPHIA
2 Tbsp. KRAFT Reduced Fat Parmesan Style Grated Topping

Make It
COOK pasta in large saucepan as directed on package, omitting salt and adding broccoli to the boiling water for the last 2 min.

MEANWHILE, heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook on medium heat 5 min., stirring occasionally. Add peppers; cook and stir 5 min. or until peppers are crisp-tender and sausage is done.

DRAIN pasta mixture. Add to skillet along with broth, half-and-half and oregano; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until sauce is slightly thickened. Top with shredded cheese; cook 1 to 2 min. or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with Parmesan
.


This evening we made our first recipe from the special dessert magazine Sam and I plan on baking through.
The whole family participated and we made Cookies 'n Cream Mini Cheesecakes. They were fair. I doubt I'll go to the trouble of making them again. Paul liked them. I guess they'll be going to work with him tomorrow.
And thus we have begun our journey through 2012.

1 comment:

RobinEddyLudwig said...

that picture of Sam's score-keeping on the shower door is my favorite thing ever. I love my little statistician Sammy.