Friday, August 19, 2011

Growing up

This week I've been feeling a little depressed. Not in a laying-in-bed-and-eating-twinkies-all-day way, but just...well, sad. Sam's growing up. And it has happened too quickly. Next week he starts kindergarten. Not public, all-day kindergarten, but private, half-day kindergarten. I chose this option for several reasons, not the least of which is because I don't want him to grow up this year. I'm sorry, but he's still my baby and I want to keep it that way......for one more year.
I worry about making the right decisions for my children. How can I ensure that they will be happy, well-developed, and their personal best? How can I protect them from all the bad that is in the world, that we choose not to allow into our home? I worry that no matter how much we teach them at home, they may still be more affected by what they hear, see, experience at school.

I know I can't stop him from growing...and from experiencing the world. But, oh, if I could just preserve his innocence a little longer. So, I'm going to try. I'm going to savor this last year. This last year that I still have my boy at home for atleast half the day. I'm going to keep teaching him, cuddling him, taking him to the park, and enjoying him so that this time next year maybe, just maybe, I'll be ready to let him go.

1 comment:

Rob Eddy said...

Agree with you 100%.