Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sam's 10th Absence

Over the last weekend in April, we took a short trip. It was Sam's final excused absence of the school year and Claire's first overnight getaway. We took a partial-family vacation with Mimi, Pop Pop, Yaya, Uncle Chris, Max and Tessa to Pigeon Forge, TN. We all stayed together in a cozy cabin in the mountains, where we were all kept awake at night by bears and raccoons digging through our trashcan and by Tessa screaming loudly through the night. But all-in-all, it was a great time.


On Thursday, we got Sam out of school early and headed up to the cabin. We only had time that evening for a tasty family dinner at the Apple Barn (I really just like to go there for the apple fritters) and some playing around back at the cabin. Friday was the main event: Dollywood. Thankfully the weather was perfect and everyone had a great time. Even the babies were well behaved for the duration of our theme park excursion. We spent the majority of our day in the kiddie area, but I'll admit that I probably had as much fun on those kiddie rides as the boys did! Unfortunately, at the end of the day, we made the unwise decision to let the boys ride on one of the bigger roller coasters, one which we had not checked out before taking them on. As soon as it started, I knew Sam was going to be terrified, but it was too late. There was no way to go back at that point. The roller coaster was inside, in the dark, going through a village on fire, with fake people who moved and talked. I went to him as quickly as I could afterward (he rode with Pop Pop) and I knew immediately, by the look in his eyes, that he wouldn't be the same for a while.  And he's not. He's more terrified than usual, needing us to not leave his sight at any time. And he doesn't like to be reminded of the ride.
Thankfully, Sam's fear has not tarnished his enjoyment of Dollywood! On Saturday, when it was pouring down rain, and when we had spent the majority of the day trying to figure out something that was suitable to do with children on such a day, Paul, Pop Pop, the boys and I decided to venture back to Dollywood. We were surprised by how many others were there, but a little bit of rain didn't stop us from enjoying those same kiddie rides for a couple hours. We even managed to take a train ride, since that is a family vacay essential. When we headed for the trolley to return us to our car, the boys were cold and wet, but I think the rain added a little something to the experience.


Pop Pop talked us all into buying season passes to Dollywood and ever since our return home, none of us can stop talking about that place. We can't wait to go back again and try out some different rides. And because we are total daredevils, we intend to take Sam past his 10 allowable absences, squeezing in just one more trip before school ends.



3 comments:

heidi said...

i always read your blog and i think you are the best.

Paul said...

That's a cute picture of the boys with their arms around each other. Rare moment of sibling love for those two!!

Heather's Pink said...

I can't believe Natey was big enough to ride the ride with the big, blue seat. It looks like the seat is eating him!