Thursday, September 27, 2012

Nathanael's First Field Trip

On Monday Nathanael's preschool class had their one field trip for the year (supposedly...though I seem to recall from Sam's K4 class that they took about 10 field trips, so why would the 3's only get 1?). One of my favorite fall traditions to do as a family is go to the apple orchard and/or pumpkin patch. So, I was more than happy that Nathanael would get to go to an orchard that we don't typically go to. The last time we visited Niven's Apple Orchard was when Sam was about 18 months old. It's definitely a fun place, just lacking the beautiful mountain views that I love about Sky Top.
So, we started off our visit with a hayride, and surprisingly enough, there really was hay!! It wasn't just a  wagon ride.
The hayride dropped us off right among the apple trees and each child was given a plastic bag to fill with apples. After searching for a few minutes, we finally found some trees that were full of apples low enough for the kids to walk right up and pick. Nathanael was pretty excited to be able to pick them. He's been very into "baby" things and found several little baby apples that were "so cuuuute". It didn't take long to fill up our little bag, but we fit as many in as possible.
I picked one off the tree and gave it to Nathanael to eat. He gobbled it right up and got another one before we even walked out of the trees. In fact, he even wanted a third, but I cut him off. He did get it later for dinner, however. And 3 days later, between the two of us, our little baggie of apples is gone.
After a quick snack (not that Nathanael needed one after feasting upon the apples) with his preschool friends, it was time to pick out a pumpkin. Nathanael tried out several different ones (including a "cuuute" baby one) before finally finding his perfect pumpkin to take home.
And then there was still plenty of time to play. In the 5 years since we've been to Niven's, they have added several new things to entertain the little ones. Nathanael had a blast bouncing on inner tubes, looking at the animals, dressing up a scarecrow, and crawling through a tunnel. But, the thing he spent the most time doing was chasing the little girls around the playhouses.
He is such a wild little man. I'm so glad I got to spend a morning doing something fun with him and watching him interact with his new friends.

2 comments:

Heather's Pink said...

You two are so cute. You look beautiful with your little pregnant belly. In fact, you handle pregnancy so well you should have 10 more;-)

Karen said...

I have to agree with Kim. And I don't care what you say, you are the most adorable pregnant person! Looks like a fun trip.