But this picture is from Kindergarten.
My boy is a complete enigma. Though he is tender and extremely sensitive, he's ready to throw blows for even the slightest offense. While he is confident in himself and his abilities, he is terrified of even his own shadow.
Lately, a popular phrase of Sam's has been, "_____ spooked me". The first time I heard this silly phrase was a couple weeks ago on our drive home from school. "Mom?" Sam began. "There's a kid in first grade that spooks me." Very curious, I prodded him as to why the kid was spooky. "He has a lot of gums. When he opens his mouth, he isn't trying to show them, but you can just see a lot of his gums." HA! I guess we're just lucky Sam didn't vomit upon seeing the poor kid's gums. After all, Sam does tend to have a weak stomach.
Spooky episode #2 also was described on another afternoon trip home from school. "Mom? Today we had a lock-down drill." "Oh yeah?" I asked. "Yeah, it kind of spooked me." "Did you have to get underneath your desk?" "No. Mrs. Cole turned out the light and we all had to get where someone couldn't look in through the door and see us." Well heck yeah! That would spook me too! Turns out, it wasn't a drill, either. Turns out, an unidentified individual was roaming the school without having signed in at the office. It was just a district employee. It's sad how hyper-sensitive our schools have to be these days, but I'm the type who appreciates hyper-sensitivity.
Sam told me about the third spooky episode as we sat at the table doing his homework one afternoon. "On library day last week, 2 boys and 1 girl in my class checked out books about vampires." "Oh yeah?" I said. "Yeah. Maddy checked one out. It kind of spooked me."
Ahhhh, my sweet boy. Maybe I should tell him that he's going to be spooked many more times in his life. Maybe I should tell him that I used to fall asleep with my light on every night. Or maybe I should tell him that I still get heart palpitations if I have to turn out all the lights downstairs at night and there isn't another light on to get me safely up the stairs. Or maybe I'll just enjoy the sweetness that is my 6-year-old who relies on his buddies to keep him safe at night.
Sam told me about the third spooky episode as we sat at the table doing his homework one afternoon. "On library day last week, 2 boys and 1 girl in my class checked out books about vampires." "Oh yeah?" I said. "Yeah. Maddy checked one out. It kind of spooked me."
Ahhhh, my sweet boy. Maybe I should tell him that he's going to be spooked many more times in his life. Maybe I should tell him that I used to fall asleep with my light on every night. Or maybe I should tell him that I still get heart palpitations if I have to turn out all the lights downstairs at night and there isn't another light on to get me safely up the stairs. Or maybe I'll just enjoy the sweetness that is my 6-year-old who relies on his buddies to keep him safe at night.
1 comment:
Ah! What a cute kid - love the word "spooky"!
Post a Comment