Monday, May 28, 2012

A special day for two special boys

Last Thursday Sam completed his kindergarten career. On Friday was the "Kindergarten Celebration", where the children would receive their completion certificate, each recite lines of a poem, and have cake and punch. Weeks before, I asked Sam if he would prefer to attend the celebration or have a special day out on the town. The fact that the school was charging each family a $20 "celebration fee" to participate may have weighed slightly in my motive to skip the event. And considering that Sam was begging not to have to go back to school several months ago, I think the decision for him was a fairly simple one. Which would you have chosen?!
Although Nathanael woke up at 5:30 (I guess he was just too excited), and both boys were a bit ornery, we had a super fabulous day! We had this planned out for weeks, and I don't think we could have crammed any more fun into it! First thing in the morning, we started off with a breakfast of champions: Krispy Kreme donuts! This was the boys' first trip and they loved watching the donuts being made as well as choosing their own flavor.
Next, we met up with some friends at Playnation, an indoor playground place. It was lovely to be able to chat with one of my favorite gals while the kiddies played. What would have been even more lovely would have been if Sam and Nathanael could have gotten along for the entire time. Little Nathanael loves his friend Aidan. Unfortunately, so does big brother Sam. Sam tends to hijack Aidan and exclude Nathanael. On this particular day, that eventually resulted in our abrupt departure from Playnation.
Oh well, it was time to move on to lunch anyway. One of Sam's favorite restaurants is Buffalo Wild Wings. I certainly don't think it's the stellar food that draws him back, but the wall-to-wall tv screens showing sports galore. He loves it. He and Nathanael both ask to go there all the time, but Paul and I don't love the food, so the only opportunity they get to go to Buffalo Wild Wings is when they have some special reason to get to go to the restaurant of their choosing. I'm so sad that the one picture I took of Sam there, which would have been a great picture, has him with his eyes closed.
After a brief trip back home for an abbreviated nap for Nathanael, we headed out for the finale to our grand day. We went to see The Pirates! Band of Misfits at the theatre. Nathanael had never been to the movies before and Sam has only been a handful of times. It wasn't really that we were going to see a spectacular movie, but it was all about the experience. I thought the movie was boring, but both boys said they liked it, so it was the perfect ending to the perfect day.
My children live an easy life, for sure, but it isn't often that they get spoiled rotten. It was a lot of fun having this one day that we spent going from one great thing to another.

3 comments:

Karen said...

What a good mom you are to plan such a fun-filled day for your boys! I'm glad we got to meet up for a little bit of their special day.

Jenna said...

$20 celebration fee? For real? Craziness.

It looks like you had a grand & celebratory day!! That's a whole lot of fun to pack into one day. When you said the pirates movie, I immediately thought it was some variation of Pirates of the Caribbean - whew!

JKGROSS said...

Looks like it was a fun day! Those boys are so cute! Hope you're feeling well. I also hope you get a girl this time around :0)