In mid-February, this rascal turned 5. He has been really into Ninja Turtles as of late, even though I'm pretty sure he's never even seen them on TV. I'm pretty sure it's their weapons that drew his attention. Regardless, he decided he'd like a Ninja Turtles party. We invited a few of his friends and cousins (not nearly as many as he requested to invite, but space is limited at our table). In attendance were friends Dallin, Aidan, Benjamin, and Henni (and Henni's sister Franka), as well as cousins Jillian and Haley (Max was at the beach). Sam was there too, but he only lasted until lunch was being served, at which time he retreated to his room after a scuffle over a juice box.
I have a pretty standard kids' party routine that I stick to. I might include some sort of handmade party favor: I stitched up some masks for the kids, which looked fine as long as no one looked at them closely. I usually have some sort of SIMPLE craft for the kids to do: The kids had a coloring sheet to do and made their own goodie bags.
There is usually some sort of simple party game, pin-the-whatever-on-the-whatever is a popular choice. Pizza, fruit and juice boxes is the standard party meal. And of course, opening presents and a group picture.
The cake receives the most attention. I had a hard time finding a Ninja Turtle cake that I felt confident replicating, until I came across an AMAZING technique on Pinterest that will now allow us (I say us because Paul is the master of this new technique) to create any theme imaginable! I baked my favorite and well-loved cake recipe, and Paul did the turtle design work. The turtle was off-center on top of the cake and that's my fault, but in the future we shall master perfection! Voila, birthday party success.
Nathanael's 5-year-old interview:
1- What is your favorite food? Pizza and cake
2- What food do you wish you'd never have to eat again? Spinach and carrots
3- What is your favorite thing about school? That I have friends
4- What makes you the happiest? When I get toys
5- Where in the world would you like to go? Disneyland
6- What was the best thing about being 4? That me and you went to the store together and the donut place.
7- What is your favorite sport? Football and baseball
8- What is your favorite thing to do? Cuddle with Mama
9- What do you like most about our family? All of you guys are awesome.
10- What do you want to be when you grow up? Basketball player
11- Who is your best friend? Henni
12- What is your favorite color? Orange
13- What do you and Dad do together? Play baseball sometimes
14- What do you and Mom do together? Read books together
Nathanael is 100% boy! He is wild and rambunctious, he likes to make noise just for the sake of making noise, he loves to play outside, he loves to get dirty, he loves to ride his bike and all his other ride-on toys, he loves things that shoot (he got a toy bow and arrow for his birthday and used a gift card to buy a toy gun), and he loves to pick on his siblings. He is rough and tumble, but also very tender and sweet. He loves to cuddle, he always tells me sweet things, and he loves to give me kisses. Every night as we tuck him into bed, he has a standard dialogue, preceded by a hug and a kiss, that he repeats exactly the same every time, each phrase of which I am expected to repeat back to him. It goes like this: Goodnight, Mama. (waits for response) I love you , Mama. (waits for response) I'll see you in the morning. (waits for response) You're the best. (waits for response) You're awesome. (waits for response) He has the exact same routine when I drop him off at preschool, only then he hugs and kisses both me AND Claire, and goes through the dialogue with both of us, though Claire isn't expected to repeat.
In many ways, Nathanael seems like such a big kid. But I have to remember that he is still little. He still has the sweetest little baby voice. I will miss it when it is gone. He cries at the drop of a hat. In fact, for a period of time towards the beginning of the school year, some days he would cry when I dropped him off at preschool. He said he missed me. I think he still doesn't love going to school. He says it's boring. He's not the type of kid who loves to sit still and learn. He has a short attention span and likes to be busy playing and doing things with his hands. I know he doesn't like having to sit and write. But his teachers repeatedly tell me how smart he is and that he is the one who answers all their questions. One thing is for sure: as Paul always says about him, he's smart like a fox. He is our little slickster and I'm glad he's ours.




No comments:
Post a Comment