Wednesday, June 12, 2013

1st Grade Wrap-up

The last month of school was very busy. I was able to attend two of the four field trips Sam's class took in the last month. First, I met up with his class at Roper Mountain Science Center. They spent the day learning about old-time farm life, fossils, the rainforest, space, and more. I was actually quite miserable that day, as I was covered in inexplicable hives, so I cut out early, missing the simulated roller coaster ride through space.
The next week we went on a tour of Happy Cow, a local dairy where we also picked strawberries. The weather was just perfect, the field trip was relaxed, and it was fun to watch Sam interacting with his school friends.
 
The next end-of-the-year school activity I was able to attend was Sam's awards day. The children received some awards as a whole first grade in the atrium and then other class awards in their own classroom. Sam received an award for completing the Book It program (he had to read a certain number of books each month for 6 months), first place for his class in First in Math (an online math program), and first place in his class for AR (online quizzes they take after reading a book- he read 180 books during school hours this year). In his class, Sam's classmates voted him "Smartest Boy".

Sam was lucky to be in a class full of great kids. He enjoyed making friends with each of them. I'm quite happy about that.


No comments: