Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Turning 30 and Feathering My Nest

Today is my 30th birthday. It's hard to believe. I feel like it was such a short time ago that Paul and I were in high school....or got married....or moved to Utah...or.... But I guess it wasn't such a short time ago after all. It all happens so quickly. I've never been one who was bothered much by my increasing age. In fact, as a very young newlywed, I wished I was older because I felt like everyone thought I was just a child. And I was. Turning 30 isn't so bad. There's a certain credibility and confidence that comes with age. Or maybe it's that many of my dearest friends are over 30 and I want to be just like them;-).
So how am I celebrating the departure from my 20s? Well, this morning I dropped my little treasures off at their schools and then I went back to Sam's class to volunteer for his teacher. Wednesdays are my volunteering days, and even though it's my birthday, I didn't want to miss that. Later we will go to dinner with my parents and enjoy a nice evening at home. And what gift did I receive? Check out this little, or actually QUITE LARGE, beauty.
And in case there's any question regarding how I feel about receiving a kitchen appliance for my birthday, practicality fits me to a T. In fact, I feel quite spoiled by this gift. I would never buy myself such an expensive mixer. But I sure do love me some baked goods.
As a younger gal I had in mind that I wanted to have all my children born before I turned 30. Looks like I'll miss that mark by just a little. I feel like this little lady could come any day now. Every time I go for a walk, I anxiously expect my water to break. Meanwhile, I guess I've been in slight "nesting" mode. I'm not the typical nester. I don't get some crazy desire to pull everything out of my cupboards and wash down every nook and cranny of my house. I like a mostly clean house and all, but let's not get carried away. For me, nesting comes in the form of baking. Just as I did while pregnant with Nathanael, I have spent this pregnancy baking more than my share of treats. And while doing so, I've found some delicious recipes that will become permanent staples of my baking rotation. Hence my birthday gift. Paul says that bad boy ought to be able to make all my wildest baking dreams come true. Watch out now!
But I haven't only been baking. I've been getting the little girl's room ready. I was fairly uncertain about how my paint job would turn out and how I would feel about it once it was done, but I must say, I love it! The room is far from complete. It certainly hasn't reached my vision yet, but I have a certain suspicion that just might not happen before she's born. So, for now, here is the progress so far.

2 comments:

Heather's Pink said...

Sweet! I love the color of your mixer and that little girl's room. I liked 30...oh the good old days. I do enjoy getting older. I feel more spunky and don't care about what people think. It is liberating. Pretty soon I will forget what I do each day and can do the same thing over and over again without getting bored.

Jenna said...

The other night at dinner, Scott said, "Do you know who is a really good baker?" Nope. "Julie Rogers!!!" I guess Paul brings goodies in to work to share. Scott is very impressed.

Jenna