Across the street from the football stadium, I spotted the museum of paleontology. Whilst planning our vacation back home, I had hoped to do some dinosaur bone viewing since Utah has such an abundance of them. Sam has been really into reading about dinosaurs lately, and I also have found our reading to be quite interesting. Having never seen any dinosaur fossils myself, I thought it would be something we both would enjoy. So, since BYU's museums are free, we wasted no time scooting on over to check it out. It was, indeed, very cool and I had hopes of snapping some fun pictures of the boys with the dinosaurs. They were quite unwilling participants. I kept darting around after them, requesting them to "hold still", "smile", and, to Paul's horror, "stand underneath that dinosaur" (apparently he thinks you aren't supposed to go around the velvet ropes). What happened next is something straight out of an episode of Curious George. We had come to the last little room which contained several glass cases of various fossils and dinosaur whatnot, as well as a complete skeleton of a giant ground sloth. Paul was already making his way toward to exit, but suddenly the boys were in perfect position for a fun picture, so quickly I tried to hop around the sloth. I guess I must have bumped the poor guy with my bag or something, because all of a sudden I hear something crashing to the ground. As a sickly gasp escaped my throat, I saw the sloth's finger tumbling across the floor! We took that to indicate that our visit to the museum was complete. But for the rest of the day, Nathanael kept asking me, "remember when you broke the dinosaur bones?" Yes, yes I do.
That afternoon, it was time for Sam's first day of soccer camp. Within moments of our arrival at BYU's indoor practice facility, Sam paired off with a little boy named Saxon. They started playing right away and became quick friends. Saxon happened to be 5 as well, and they just happened to be put into the same group for the week. I was so happy for Sam, and I hope that his ease of making friends continues throughout his life. He really had a blast at camp and would even say that was his favorite part of our trip.
But our day was not over yet. We decided to drive the boys by the Provo Temple and let them walk around it a bit. As soon as we all unloaded from the car, however, our interest in being there plummeted. It was just so darn hot! So, we decided to end our day with a trip up to Bridal Veil Falls, where we all cooled ourselves in the icy cool snow melt cascading out of the mountains. The boys literally would have stayed and splashed around in that water for hours, given the chance.





2 comments:
I can't believe that nobody commented on this post - the sloth story is one of the funniest things I've heard in months. I laugh every time I think about it.
And hey, where are my rocks????
Post a Comment