Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sam Gets Baptized

Turning 8 marks a special time in the life of a Latter-Day Saint child. That is when they can choose to follow the example of the Savior by being baptized. Sam wanted to be obedient to Heavenly Father and he knew that it was important to be baptized. Prior to his baptism, I asked him if he wanted to do it. He said he did because he knew it's what Heavenly Father wanted him to do but he was a little nervous because there would be so many people watching him. We decided to have an abbreviated baptismal program. In my experience with attending baptisms, the Spirit is felt the strongest during the actual ordinance of baptism. So, we wanted the Spirit to be felt strongly and then everyone to go home, instead of dragging things out with so many people talking. Therefore, we nixed the second talk and any welcomes. Sam chose his favorite Primary song, A Child's Prayer, for the opening song. Mimi Eddy, even with a broken foot, played the piano. Papa Rogers gave the opening prayer. Sam asked that I give the combined talk on baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. I tried to decline and help him select someone else, but he was pretty insistent. How could I possibly tell him no, even when it was the last thing I wanted to do? Paul, of course, baptized and confirmed him. While Paul and Sam were dressing, we showed Mormon Messages videos (1, 2, and 3). Sam selected When I Am Baptized for the closing song and Mema Rogers gave the closing prayer. Afterwards, we had light refreshments: a selection of fresh-baked cookies and one of Sam's favorite treats, root beer floats. It was a wonderful day!



    

No comments: