Saturday, August 24, 2013

A new school year

The boys survived their first week of school. Nathanael started K4 at a new school on Tuesday. The previous week, one of his teachers, Ms. Smith, stopped by our house to meet him. She is a sweet grandmother and she gave the boys each a Blow Pop, which won Nathanael over. His other teacher, Ms. Karen, is also sweet. This year he goes to school a bit longer than before, long enough to eat lunch there. I think he likes that part, though I don't think he actually likes being there longer. A sweet little friend from church, Adelaide, is in his class. He has also made a few friends: Cameron, who sits beside him, and at least two other boys, who he refers to as "my buddies" because he doesn't yet know their names. Nathanael goes to school 3 days a week and we will have plenty of activities on his days off to keep a packed schedule.


Sam suddenly thinks he's too cool now that he's in 2nd grade. On the first day of school, I walked him to class, just as I did last year, and just as all the other moms do. When I tried to take his picture in front of his classroom door, he just kept moving, and when I wanted to get his picture with his teacher, he kept saying "no!" very quietly. I ignored him, of course, and by day's end he had completely recovered from this case of mortification. He came home from that first day quite pleased. Sam said that his teacher, Mrs. Rice, is nice and he reported that she watches football every Saturday, she likes Georgia and also doesn't mind Clemson. I'm pretty sure she can do no wrong for the rest of the year. In his class this year are three of his classmates from his 1st grade class and also Reagan, a friend from church. We are carpooling this year with a neighbor who became a good friend of Sam's during 1st grade. It's nice to only have to worry about getting them to school in the morning and having him dropped off at our door in the afternoon. And the boys enjoy the chance to ride with each other everyday.


It's nice to be back in a routine. We're off to a good start and I expect it to be a great year for both boys.

1 comment:

Heather's Pink said...

lol. Sam, I can't believe he is embarrassed by his mom. She is never embarrassing. I am glad Henry isn't too cool yet. Is Natey really a giant compared to Adelaide or is that trick photography? I know he was big, but he is more than a head bigger in the photo. What are you feeding that kid;-)