Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to school!

I don't know how it happened, but somehow summer ended. It was rather abrupt. One day we were enjoying leisurely days spent baking, playing, traveling about town...
And the next day I was suddenly out of time to purchase school supplies. This was, quite possibly, the quickest summer of my life. Why is it that on the last day of school it always seems like an eternity before the next school year will begin, yet as soon as the Fourth of July rolls around, it seems that summer passes by in a blink? However it happened, the night of Meet the Teacher came around and Sam was both excited and nervous to find out what first grade was going to be like. He had been hoping all summer long that he would get our neighbor, Mrs. Cole, for his teacher and that his friend, Logan, would be in his class. That night we found out that his wish was granted and Sam was so happy. It made me feel more at ease, too. And then it happened; last Wednesday morning my first born went off for his first day of public school. I walked him in and let him lead the way down the hallways to his classroom. He remembered how to get there perfectly. I probably felt more awkward than he did, as he settled himself into his seat and I was left wondering how long it was appropriate to linger around and how many pictures I could take of him without being a weirdo mother. Truthfully, I would have been happy to stay there with him all day long, if that were acceptable. But alas, I told him goodbye and walked out the door, to spend the remainder of the day wondering how and what he was doing.
When I picked him up from school, he was all smiles. He had a great day and had even found an old preschool friend on the playground at recess. He told me that all the kids in his class are nice and he loved that they even went to PE. Here's hoping that the rest of the year goes as smoothly as the first week.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Where does the time go, huh? Amazing. Don't blink.

Heather's Pink said...

You're not the weirdo mother? Just joking. I am so glad he is having a great year so far. Wish he was in Henry's class. You sure you don't want to move to China?